is the architectural practice established 2014 in Amsterdam by
GG-loop believes that architecture, as a response to spatial demand, cannot merely be functional. Every space needs to tell a story and serves as an extension of the user.
GG-loop tackles design challenges with this in mind and articulates a vision focused on biophilic, regenerative, and environmentally conscious design.
GG-loop’s biophilic approach deepens the understanding of the relationship between people and Nature. The studio’s vision raises awareness and sensitizes both the professional and general public regarding the importance of biophilic architecture as an answer to the current climate condition. Following biomimicry principles found in Nature, designs organically modify, interact, and evolve to the needs of the users.
In order to optimize workflows and have a complete overview on each aspect of a project, GG-loop uses BIM technologies and parametric design to directly transform information into construction.
The ‘loop’ to which GG-loop’s name refers, comes from the studio’s iterative process of inquiry into a project and explore an underlying design idea. The goal of this method is to create a unique question, based on the analysis of context, necessities, possibilities, and constraints. This question will create a unique answer, that will create another unique question, that will create another unique answer, as in a loop. When the design resolves all the questions coherently, it creates what Garziano calls “noble architecture”.
GG-loop involves all parties, such as stakeholders, contractors, clients and users, in the entire decision-making process and encourages dialogue between each other. Through a participated design strategy, each project aim to provide positive impacts on society and sustain long-term goals of conservation, self-sufficiency, and regeneration. The ultimate goal is to develop design solutions that give back to the Planet and can serve as a benchmark for the design, real estate and urban development sector.
A BIT OF HISTORY
Fascinated by science and music composition from a young age, Giacomo Garziano trained first as a musician before training as an architect. In 2008, Giacomo graduated from Facolta’ di Architettura di Firenze. After more than 10 years of design experience in Florence, Paris, Rotterdam, and Amsterdam, Giacomo founded GG-loop 2014 in Amsterdam, intending to generate novel, organic design, and architecture inspired by biophilic processes, mathematical systems, and musical proportions.
Projects range from product design to large-scale urban planning and design for the real estate, retail, infrastructure, and culture industries. Giacomo’s eclectic approach creates multi-sensory experiences and objects that become an organic extension of the user.
GG-loop’s first realized project, Gentle Genius, achieved global recognition and set the studio’s standard in conception and execution. Other realized projects include Freebooter and Mitosis, international benchmark for biophilic architecture.
TEAM SINCE 2015
- Daniele Colombati
- Simone Peluso
- Oskar Strajn
- Luis Cascales
- Krzysztof Zinger
- Hanna Pallot
- Robbie Nijzen
- Annika Kappner
- Johan Beijers
- Jan-Willem Terlouw
- Chelsea Fu
- Giulio Angeli
- Gianmarco Daniele
- Piergiorgio Angius
- Despoina Kenteroglou
- Matteo Bettoni
- Simone Piccolo
- Mariam Sherif
- Rozhin Khani
- Roche Bobois
- Richemont Group
- Municipality of Harlemmermeer
- Floriade Expo
- Municipality of Altamura
- EO Wijers
- Balfin Group
- Golden Trezzini Awards – Best Implemented Project of Real Estate – Saint Petersburg (RU) – Golden Trezzini
- Frame awards 2020 – Large Apartment of the Year – Amsterdam (NL) – Frame Magazine
- Best of the Year 2019 – Environmental Impact – New York (US) – Interior Design Magazine
- WAF awards 2019 – Amsterdam Prize – Amsterdam (NL) – World Architecture Festival
- AMP 2019 – Green architecture – Los Angeles (US) – Architecture MasterPrize
- CODA awards 2019 – Residential – Madison (US) – Codaworx
- A+ Awards 2019 – Architecture+Wood – New York (US) – Architizer
- A’Design awards 2019 – Sustainable and Green Design – Como (IT) – A’Design
- DNA Paris awards 2019 – Green Architecture – Paris (FR) – DNA Paris
- Inspireli Awards 2016 – Prague (CZ) – Inspireli
- Young Italian Architects 2016 – Venice (IT) – presS/Tletter
- “Spectacular houses” HÄUSER Award 2017 – Berlin (DE) – Häuser